Almost everyday, I get asked this question, “How should I be using twitter?” I am not a DJ, but I have a lot of friends who are DJ’s. I don’t know if they are using the Twitter, but these are some recommendation’s for DJ’s on how to use twitter.
1. Sign up for Twitter: The best way to tell your followers where you are going to be dj’ing, is to have twitter. So the first step is to sign up for twitter.
2. Tweet where you are going to be DJ’ing: How will people know where you are going to be? You just tweet that you are dj’ing there tonight.
3. Tweet what type of music you will be playing: I would go see a dj, if i knew what type of music he was going to be playing tonight. If you tweeted that you were going to be playing Cee Lo’s Fuck you. I would do whatever it takes to catch your set.
4. Tell people about your Twitter: How will you get followers? Tell your friends, announce it on facebook, email your list. People come up to you and say that they love the music you play, tell them your twitter.
5. Tweet Requests: Are you Dj’ing for yourself, or for people? It is annoying getting requests while you are dj’ing. But your twitter followers can request a song before you even go on. Tweet that you would like some requests for music to play tonight. If you have enough time, warn the person on twitter that you are going to be playing it next.
6. Watch @Replies: Checkout the live updates that are happening while you are DJ’ing. See what you could be doing better, See what type of music is better. Do A/B testing. Ask for responses about the music you are playing, please your audience.
7. Tweet the music you are playing: I don’t know if this exists yet, But there should be an automatic way to tweet what music you are playing via serato. This should exist if it doesn’t. Doing it by hand might be too complicated.
8. Tweet your playlist: I will always like one song that a DJ played last night. But how do I find out what it was.
9. Record your playlist: And tweet a link to download it.
10. Network: Follow other DJ twitter’s. Follow there lead, but also, blaze your own path. Nobody is doing it properly, and you won’t know what works until you try it. Twitter is still a new frontier and it could work for you.
11. Don’t be afraid of twitter: The more you use it, the more you will understand how it can be used. Unless you use it, you won’t know. I hate twitter, but I know how powerful it is.
12. Don’t forget about facebook: Just read this again, and replace it with facebook. Using both is twice as powerful as using one.